Writing for magazines is a great way to build your portfolio (quick self-promotion: you can see my new portfolio here). Here are some magazines and presses that accept submissions, in a variety of genres. Some pay for work, some do not. Please read the submission guidelines!
- Vestal Review: Flash fiction.
- All-Story: Short fiction.
- Sleet Magazine: Poems, flash fiction, and short stories.
- Flash Fiction Online: Flash fiction.
- Colorado Review: Fiction and poems.
- Gulf Coast: Fiction and poetry.
- Berkeley Fiction Review: Fiction.
- One Story: Short fiction.
- New England Review: Fiction and poetry.
- Fifty Two Stories: Short fiction.
- Break Water: Fiction.
- Epiphany: Fiction.
- Brevity: Short works.
- Black Lawrence Press: Poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction.
- McSweeney’s: Fiction and nonfiction.
- Creative Nonfiction: Essays.
- United Hemispheres: Travel writing.
- Ventana: Pieces about Ventura County.
- Paste Magazine: Articles about music, film, etc.
- The Sun: Provocative pieces.
- The Pohly Company: Works with freelancers.
There are also sites that have databases with information about magazines looking for writers. Here are a few:
- Top 50 Literary Magazines on Every Writer
- Every Writers Resource
- Literary Magazines on Poets & Writers
- 50+ Travel Magazines on Matador
And last, for anyone interested in making their own magazines, some resources: